When should you enter into a payment plan if you have a tax bill?

Disclosure: Lifestyle Wealth Partners Pty Ltd and its advisers are authorised representatives of Fortnum Private Wealth Ltd ABN 54 139 889 535 AFSL 357306. General Advice Warning: Any information on this website is general advice and does not take into account any person's objectives, financial situation or needs. Please consider your own circumstances and consider whether the advice is right for you before making a decision. Always obtain a Product Disclosure Statement (If applicable) to understand the full implications and risks relating to the product and consider the Statement before making any decision about whether to acquire the financial product.

If you’re experiencing financial difficulties, you may be eligible to set up a payment plan.

If you receive a tax bill, you need to pay in full and on time to avoid general interest charges (GIC). However, if you’re experiencing financial difficulties you may be eligible to set up a payment plan.

If you’re eligible, and have a tax bill up to $200,000 you may be able to set up your own payment plan using our online services or self-help phone service.

Before you set up a payment plan with us, you need to know your business is viable.

Payment plans require an up-front payment and should be completed within the shortest possible timeframe. This is to minimise GIC that will continue to accrue.

Paying in full and on time costs you less than a payment plan because overdue tax debts are subject to GIC.

GIC is currently 11.15% and is compounded daily. For example: If you received a $20,000 tax bill and set up a 12–month payment plan, you would pay an additional $2,359.82 in accrued GIC over the payment plan period. This example is based on the current rate of GIC, which is updated quarterly.

We are committed to supporting small businesses who may be in financial distress get back on track. We encourage small businesses that may be experiencing financial difficulties, to contact us or talk to their registered tax or BAS agent before the due date, or as early as possible for an existing debt, to discuss the support available.


QC73669 – Published 14 November 2023



Like This